Thursday, April 8, 2010

I Got It! I Got it!









With so little space to grow anything here, the city has provided some acreage for us Angelinos (or is it Angelenos?) to use. The problem is so many people want these 10x20 plots you need to wait until one opens up. I put my name on the waiting list over a year ago! I got the call a few weeks ago, and went in and claimed my land:-) It's very exciting and wonderful to be around all these fabulous experienced and newbie gardeners.
Here are some pictures that Little Manster took of our space as well as several others.

(We haven't decided what to plant here yet, but I'll let you know when we do!)

Here's our plot, the one on the right. The one on the left is new too, but this woman got it before I could snap it up. I was very jealous of the beautiful artichoke plant they left behind...

Speaking of artichokes - look at this beauty!

There's a greenhouse too - anyone can use it, start from seed..

You can grow pretty much anything here: veg, fruit, flowers - it just can't be over 6 feet and block the sun from another's garden.


This person is just getting started with her raised beds..

Lovely flowers..




This is a great thing to look into for you and your kids. They can really have pride of ownership here, choose what they want to grow and take the responsibility of caring for it - its success or failure. At our garden center, there's picnic tables and beaches. After looking at our plot, Little Manster and I had a snack in the shade and read some books. He was pretty tired afterwards and took a 2 1/2 hour nap...a nice side benefit, and I'm not afraid to admit it!

No comments:

Post a Comment